Sex & World Peace Outline
- SEX = biological differences between men and women
- GENDER = socially defined differences between men and women
WOMEN AS BOUNDARIES OF THE GROUP
- Women in many societies today still possess conditional citizenship.
“The honor of a man lies between the legs of a woman.”
- In many traditional cultures (and also, notably, in many primate social structures, as well) – daughters, when they begin to mate, relocate to their mate’s in-group, rather than the male relocating to hers. This means that a daughter and her offspring are bound to become a part of a different immediate family than the one she’s born into.
- Daughters in many such cultures, therefore, become alienated from their biological families and are the last to receive scarce resources, as their membership status within their biological family is considered temporary.
“Raising a daughter is like watering a plant in another man’s garden.”