The Philosophy Index contains a little bit of a more detailed breakdown of each branch’s subcategories,
as well as a list of topics I’ll be covering in videos, eventually.
Soren Kierkegaard thought that living requires a “leap of faith” – whether this leap be religious, or just the leap we make to combat everyday uncertainty.
So at the risk of being too precious, the acronym I’ve decided to use to help remember the branches of philosophy is “ME LEAP.”
Here’s a quick little breakdown –
- Metaphysics – what’s the fundamental nature of “reality”?
- Epistemology – what is “knowledge” and how to we know what we “know”?
- Logic – how should we reason? what are the best methods by which to uncover truth?
- Ethics – what is “good” and how do we know? what is value & how is it measured?
- Aesthetics – what is beauty? is it really just “in the eye of the beholder”?
- Politics – what is the best way to govern?
Here’s my little color coded mind map (click here for more diagrams like this)!